What are the signs of Dyslexia?
Although the best age to diagnose dyslexia is around 7 years of age, dyslexia can be diagnosed at any age. It may be that you are about to go to University and want to apply for DSA or you may be an adult needing an assessment for the first time. Questions to consider for adults are;
Is there any dyslexia in the family already?
Were the normal developmental milestones reached in childhood? Walking /riding a bike etc. You may need to ask someone if you can’t remember!
Can you sequence the alphabet automatically, do you know the days of the week /days of the month in order?
Do you reversal letters or numbers e.g. b’s and d’s or numbers 6 and 9?
Do you feel you have problems with spelling?
Any difficulties remembering verbal instructions -particularly if there are more than one?
Are you disorganised and/or have difficulty telling the time or understanding the concept of time?
Do you have any visual difficulties – does the print jump about on the page? Do you ever suffer from headaches?
Any problems with mental maths/ times tables?
Have you had problems learning to drive?
Pre- Assessment Adult Questionnaire
If I book an assessment what will happen?
A range of tests will then be given - Underlying cognitive ability – both Verbal and Non Verbal, Attainment ( Reading , Spelling , Comprehension) and Diagnostic (Memory, Phonological Awareness). Your speed of reading , writing and even word processing will be tested .You will do better in some than others and this is to be expected. Some are timed and some are not.
The assessor will try to give some feedback at the end of the session but will return the completed report to you within 15 working days. A follow up session is always offered - this can be in person, on the phone or by Zoom. Support is always available even after the assessment. Recommendations for University /work will be included. This might be around books or resources, or around application for DSA or Access to Work.
Before the assessment takes place you will be sent a questionnaire which will ask you in more detail about specific difficulties and will ask about educational and background information. You may be asked about the course you are intending to do or information about what you find difficult in work . If you have any previous reports do send them on ahead to the assessor also.
A full diagnostic assessment will take around 3 hours. Breaks are always given.
If you wear glasses or use a coloured overlay bring it with you. If you are normally on any (relevant) medication tell the assessor and take it as usual.
If you require a Work Place Needs assessment after, this can be done for £395 plus travel.
I want to book an assessment what do I do next?
If you have any questions do fill out the Contact Us page and we will answer them for you by return. If you wish to book an assessment fill out the Adult Questionnaire ( see below) – if you need an urgent assessment do email with proposed dates.
We now have new assessors and trainers nationally so we hope to be able to find you a date within the very near future. The process is as follows.
1. We will confirm dates and assessor on receipt of the Questionnaire.
2. An electronic invoice will be sent separately to you. We charge £600 plus VAT, for an adult assessment. If you want a Needs Assessment for reasonable adjustments an assessment is normally needed first but if you aren't doing any professional exams, a screener may be enough.
3. If you have a query but don't want to make a Booking yet just fill out the Contact Us form or email katrina@ positivedyslexia.co.uk and we will get straight back to you.
Further support after the assessment
The BDA (British Dyslexia Association) is a national charity and their Helpline is open to everyone including adults and employers. They can be contacted confidentially on 0333 405 4567.
Access to Work – this is a government scheme that gives support to employees ( and those who are self employed). This can provide software, coaching and additional resources needed for the adult with dyslexia work effectively. Further information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work
Access to Work
this is a government scheme that gives support to employees ( and those who are self employed). This can provide software, coaching and additional resources needed for the adult with dyslexia work effectively. Further information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work
Our Prices from April 1st 2023
Adult Full diagnostic Assessment: £600 plus VAT
Work Place Needs Assessment £395 plus VAT
Pre- Assessment Adult Questionnaire To be filled out prior to assessment
Terms and Conditions
1. The Booking Form must be signed and submitted to us before the assessment. Dates can only be provisionally held for 24 hours.
2. Assessments/Training cannot be guaranteed to be rescheduled to a later date and may be charged if cancelled.
3. A full assessment usually lasts around 3 hours for adults but may be shorter for children . Testing for Access Arrangements will be shorter.
4. For an assessment the results will be analysed and a detailed report will be sent to you at your address within 15 working days of the appointment.
5. Payment by BACS or cash must be made at the time of the appointment or in advance. The report will not be released until payment is made.
6. Positive Dyslexia reserve the right not to accept a referral, to terminate an assessment or not circulate a report if: the referral appears to be outside of their area of expertise the client fails to cooperate with the requirements of the assessment procedure in such a way that may compromise the validity of the assessment the client fails to comply with the terms and conditions outlined above.